Friday, May 9, 2008

T-ball baseball

So I'm the t-ball coach. Which is rather ridiculous if I do say so myself. I'm sure you all think it's rather ridiculous yourselves. Me interact with young children? Not my thing. But with Luke and Caleb in t-ball, and no one else willing to do it, what do you do? So I keep dreaming about baseball at night. How can I teach a 5 year old to catch a ball? How can I keep them focused for a one hour practice? I could teach 16 year olds, but 5 year old? So here are some funny things that happened last night...

One little boy refused to let us call him by his real name, instead it had to be "Crocodile." Since his name is Hunter, I guess I can understand.

(I had my very best friend cut a hole in a piece of plywood that was as tall as Luke, the hole being about twice the size as a mitt. This represented a mitt and where they needed to aim). So I kept asking them why we were trying (note the word trying) to throw it through the hole. The littler ones just kept jumping up and down saying it represented plywood, never getting it.

We had a new player last night. A little pixie of a girl, smaller than Caleb. She just moved here from Chicago. And can she ever play! I told my unofficial assistant coach Robbie, "She's our secret weapon." He said, "Yeah she is, she catch, throw AND bat." That is indeed an impressive combination with 5 year olds!

1 comment:

Debra said...

sounds fun.... glad its you not me. :)